This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
NEW YORK (AP) — Fire officials say the Christmas Day high rise blaze in New York that killed a 76-year-old man in his apartment was accidental and was caused by smoking.
Authorities say John Doktor was found unresponsive in his bedroom by emergency responders Monday morning.
More than 100 firefighters responded to the wind-whipped fire on the 35th floor of a 36-story building on 56th Street near Seventh Avenue.
Fire Department spokesman Michael Parrella says firefighters were hampered by high winds and malfunctioning elevators.
Parrella says the fire was contained to one apartment, where Doktor was found. Officials said it was started by a careless discarding of smoking material.
Two firefighters were also injured.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.