Talks between Venezuela, opposition set to resume in January


Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Another round of talks between the Venezuelan government and opposition leaders has ended without an agreement but the dialogue is slated to resume again in January.

Chief government representative Jorge Rodriguez says the dialogue Friday in the Dominican Republican was "constructive" and expressed hope an accord will be reached.

Opposition leader Luis Florido similarly described the talks as "positive" but said more discussion was needed.

The talks have divided Venezuela's opposition, with some arguing they legitimize a government which rules with impunity and should not be negotiated with.

Still, some observers have been hopeful a deal might be struck as the cash-strapped administration of President Nicolas Maduro looks for support to refinance Venezuela's foreign debt.

At least 120 Venezuelans were killed in four months of political unrest earlier this year.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent World stories

Related topics

World
The Associated Press

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast