Homeless man credited with saving 2 kids from Las Vegas fire

Homeless man credited with saving 2 kids from Las Vegas fire

(Shutterstock)



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Las Vegas firefighters are calling a homeless man a hero for saving two small children from a fire.

Fire officials say a 3-year-old girl and a 10-month-old boy were trapped in a burning apartment Friday morning.

Authorities say the children's grandfather was cooking food and the stove caught fire. The grandfather escaped from a back bedroom but couldn't get to the children.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski says that's when 36-year-old Anival Angulo happened by and pried a screen door open. The man pulled both children out of the home.

Szymanski says the children could have been burned or killed if Angulo had not been there. The children were treated at a hospital for smoke inhalation.

Authorities say the damage to the home is estimated at $50,000.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast