Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
LAND O'LAKES, Fla. (AP) — Florida officials have condemned two more homes due to a Florida sinkhole, bringing the total to six homes that are now unlivable.
Authorities in Pasco County, a suburban area north of Tampa, said in a news release Sunday that the two additional homes were being condemned. Two homes were condemned Saturday and two were destroyed when the ground caved in on July 14.
The sinkhole opened up July 14. It is now about 260 feet (79 meters) wide at its widest point.
Crews brought in earth to stabilize the banks. Once the edges are stabilized, workers hope to remove debris.
Authorities hope to create a boat ramp so they can work from a barge, which will float on water in the sinkhole.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Photos
Most recent U.S. stories
Related topics
More stories you may be interested in

Remains found miles from Nancy Guthrie home with 'no indication' of connection to case so far, sheriff's department says

Tens of thousands without power and more than 100 homes damaged as Tropical Storm Lala moves away from Hawaii

Utah Summer Games celebrates 40 years of shaping athletes and Olympic dreams




