Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SOUTH JORDAN — John Murphy used one final sprint to close out his team’s second stage win Thursday at the Tour of Utah.
The Holowesko Citadel rider used a huge sprint down Redwood Road to edge competitor Jose Alfredo Rodriguez of Elevate-KHS Pro Cycling in Thursday’s Stage 4 that sprinted around the Salt Lake Valley.
Murphy, whose Holowesko-Citadel squad also captured Stage 1 Monday in Logan, finished in 4:22:23 in a neck-and-neck finish with Rodriguez. Mikel Raim of Israel Cycling Academy was third.
Robert Britton of Rally Cycling took the yellow jersey as the overall race leader.
Stage 5 will run from Layton to Bountiful on Friday morning, including a pass through Hill Air Force Base from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. MT. The base’s south gate will be reduced to exit only during the race, and the Roy gate will be closed in its entirely.
Stage 4 top riders
1. John Murphy (Holowesko Citadel) — 4:22:23
2. Jose Alfredo Rodriguez (Elevate-KHS) — 4:22:23
3. Mikel Raim (Israel Cycling Academy) — 4:22:23
4. Colin Joyce (Rally Cycling) — 4:22:23
5. Paolo Simion (Bardiani CSF) — 4:22:23
1. Robert Britton (Rally Cycling) — 13:15:55
2. Gavin Mannion (UnitedHealthcare) — 13:16:21
3. Serghei Tvetcov (Jelly Belly) — 13:16:23
4. Kyle Murphy (Rylance Cycling) — 13:16:29
5. Neilson Poles (Axeon Hagens) — 13:16:33