Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A civilian oversight board has found Los Angeles police officers acted within policy in the fatal shooting of a 14-year-old boy last year.
The Los Angeles Police Commission issued its decision Tuesday in the August 2016 death of Jesse Romero that sparked protests.
Police have said Romero and others were spraying graffiti when officers approached them and they ran off.
Police have said a witness saw Romero fire a gun in the direction of the officers.
An attorney for his family has said Romero was throwing away the gun and couldn't have been armed when he was shot.
Romero's mother, speaking through a translator, said her son was a good student and there was no justification for his death.
Romero's family has filed a federal lawsuit alleging civil rights violations.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.