Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Manchester City announced the signing of left-back Benjamin Mendy from Monaco on Monday, continuing a summer of big spending on defense.
The 23-year-old Frenchman was part of the Monaco team which won last season's French title and knocked out Pep Guardiola's City on its way to the Champions League semifinals.
"He is undoubtedly one of the world's best full-backs, our number one target in this position," Manchester City director of football Txiki Begiristain said in a statement.
Mendy said he was "absolutely delighted" with the move.
Mendy's arrival on a five-year contract follows the departure earlier this summer of long-time City left-backs Gael Clichy to Turkish club Istanbul Basaksehir and Aleksandar Kolarov to Roma. Paolo Zabaleta and Bacary Sagna have added to City's defensive departures.
Mendy will be reunited in Manchester with former Monaco teammate Bernardo Silva after the midfielder completed his transfer earlier this month.
Guardiola will have plenty of new options at the back for the new season, with versatile defender Danilo joining from Real Madrid on Sunday and right-back Kyle Walker signed from Tottenham Hotspur.
City also signed goalkeeper Ederson Moraes for 40 million euros ($45 million) from Benfica last month.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.