Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — Mauritania's state-run news agency says a newly formed extremist group has claimed responsibility for Sunday's attack on a Mali military base that killed at least 17 soldiers.
The SITE Intelligence Group says the news agency reported Friday the claim by Mali-based Nusrat al-Islam wal Muslimeen. The report says the group claims dozens were wounded in the attack on Boulikessi base near the border with Burkina Faso.
Extremist violence has been mounting over the past year along the Mali-Burkina Faso border.
The newly formed extremist group merges Ansar Dine, al-Mourabitoun and al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb. The groups already had been staging joint attacks, causing insecurity not only in Mali but in neighboring West African countries.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.