UN welcomes Moroccan pullout from Western Sahara buffer area

By The Associated Press | Posted - Feb. 27, 2017 at 3:20 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The United Nations is welcoming the pullout of Moroccan security forces from the tense border strip in southern Western Sahara and is calling on the Polisario Front independence movement to also withdraw its fighters.

U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said Monday that Secretary-General Antonio Guterres spoke to Morocco's King Mohammed VI and a Polisario representative late last week.

The U.N. chief called on both parties Saturday "to unconditionally withdraw all armed elements from the border strip" and "exercise maximum restraint."

Morocco annexed Western Sahara in 1975 and fought the Polisario Front, which wants a referendum on the mineral-rich region's future.

Moroccan and Polisario forces have faced each other in the buffer strip's Guerguerat region since August 2016.

Dujarric said Guterres would like to see "a general easing of the tensions."

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast