Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
LAYTON, Utah (AP) — A 24-year-old Utah man has been convicted of murder after a playful fight turned into a deadly shooting two years ago.
Jurors deliberated for nearly four hours Monday before finding Jory Fenstermaker guilty of killing of Randy Lewis of Kansas City, Missouri.
Fenstermaker claimed he feared for his life and was acting in self-defense. He said he thought Lewis was going for a knife when he shot him with a 9mm pistol at a home in West Point in March 2015.
Prosecutors say the two had been smoking marijuana and drinking, then began "slap boxing" and wrestling before becoming more violent.
Davis County prosecutor Jeff Thomson says it was a senseless, needless killing.
Fenstermaker's sentencing is scheduled for March 30 in 2nd District court in Farmington.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.






