Find a list of your saved stories here

News / 

Australia: Terror plot thwarted...Manhunt in Europe...No Trump news conference


Save Story

Save stories to read later


Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australian authorities say terror charges are pending against five men in their 20s who allegedly plotted to set off a series of Christmas bomb attacks in the heart of Melbourne. The targets included a train station and a cathedral. The suspects, who had been monitored, are said to have been inspired by the Islamic State group.

BERLIN (AP) — German officials are providing additional evidence that a Tunisian man, Anis Amri, was behind the wheel of the truck that smashed into a Christmas market in Berlin on Monday, killing 12 people. They say his fingerprints were found in the cab of the hijacked truck that was used in the attack. A manhunt extends across Europe.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Less than a month from taking office, President-elect Donald Trump has yet to hold the traditional news conference that most incoming presidents have held within days of their victory. It's now been 147 days since Trump held his last formal news conference as a candidate. He was scheduled to hold a press conference a week ago to discuss his plan to leave his sprawling business empire as he takes office. But that event was postponed.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department has sued Barclays Bank and several of its U.S. affiliates over the sale of risky mortgage-backed securities. A lawsuit filed today in federal court in Brooklyn seeks to recover civil penalties for fraud from the British bank. The suit says Barclays and its employees misrepresented the quality of the loans they sold to investors between 2005 and 2007. The Justice Department says investors lost billions of dollars. The bank denies the allegations.

WACO, Texas (AP) — A court transcript shows that then-Baylor University President Ken Starr circumvented other school administrators to lift the academic misconduct suspension of a football player who allegedly went on to commit three sexual assaults. The Wall Street Journal reports that Starr granted a reprieve for Tevin Elliot in 2011 when the athlete was accused of plagiarism.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent News stories

The Associated Press

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast