Find a list of your saved stories here

Landlord sentenced for fire that killed 6 seeks new trial


Save Story

Save stories to read later


Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — A Maine landlord sentenced to 90 days in jail after a fire killed six people at one of his properties is requesting a new trial.

A judge sentenced Gregory Nisbet for a code violation on Dec. 1, and his attorney requested the new trial in a court filing dated Monday.

Nisbet owned a Portland apartment house where the deadly fire occurred Nov. 1, 2014. The judge acquitted Nisbet of manslaughter charges but ruled he was guilty of a violation related to inadequate means of escape from third-floor rooms at the house.

The request for a new trial says Nisbet was not aware of evidence that could have changed the outcome of his trial until after his conviction. The evidence is a 2013 state memo about policy regarding windows big enough to be used for escape in existing buildings, according to the court filing.

It says Nisbet might have been able to use the memo to win a not-guilty verdict had it been provided to him "in a timely fashion." He did not discover the memo until after the trial and sentencing, according to the filing.

The residents who died in the fire were Nicole Finlay, David Bragdon Jr., Ashley Thomas, Christopher Conlee and Maelisha Jackson. Steven Summers was hospitalized and died two days later. All of the victims were in their 20s. Several other people were able to escape.

A civil case stemming from the fire still is in the court. Attorney Thomas Hallett, who represents the Summers family, said the request for a new trial will likely delay the civil case. He said he's not surprised by the request, since Nisbet is facing jail time.

The fire was ruled accidental, resulting from improperly discarded smoking materials on a porch.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

U.S.
PATRICK WHITTLE

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast