Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
ISTANBUL (AP) — A Kurdish militant group has claimed responsibility for Saturday's car bomb in central Turkey that killed 14 off-duty soldiers and wounded 55.
The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons, or TAK, says its "revenge team" conducted the suicide attack in Kayseri, according to a news agency close to Kurdish militants.
Firat News Agency, quoting a statement by the group Tuesday, said the suicide bomber was a 26-year-old who joined the group in 2013. It said TAK would continue to seek revenge for "savage attacks" on the Kurdish people.
Turkish authorities consider TAK to be an extension of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK.
TAK has claimed multiple attacks in the past year, including two bombings that killed 45 people near a soccer stadium in Istanbul earlier this month.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.