News / 

Company blasts oil pipeline decision ... Michigan to begin recount Monday afternoon ... New Zealand's PM resigns



Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CANNON BALL, N.D. (AP) — The company constructing the Dakota Access oil pipeline says the Army Corps' decision to not allow the company to extend the pipeline beneath a Missouri River reservoir was politically motivated. Dallas-based Energy Transfer Partners released a statement accusing President Obama's administration of delaying the matter until he leaves office. The Standing Rock Sioux tribe argues that extending the project beneath Lake Oahe (oh-WAH'-hee) would threaten the tribe's water source and cultural sites.

DETROIT (AP) — Michigan must begin recounting some 4.8 presidential ballots Monday at noon. That's the ruling of a federal judge. Green Party presidential nominee Jill Stein wants a voter recount in Michigan as well as Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Donald Trump narrowly beat Hillary Clinton in those states.

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — New Zealand Prime Minister John Key unexpectedly has resigned on Monday. Key had been widely expected to contest his fourth general election next year. But he said he wanted to leave while he was on top of his game. His departure will affect New Zealand's relationship with the U.S., its free-trade agenda and its role on the world stage.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Two people are dead after gunfire erupted Sunday evening near Salt Lake City. The Utah County Sheriff's Office says a woman called police to report that a man was shooting at her vehicle. Officers rushed to the scene in American Fork and found the woman dead. Officer's chased the suspect's vehicle to a movie theater and shot him dead when he refused to drop his gun.

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — A man in San Antonio, Texas has been rescued after two cars were submerged inside a sinkhole created when a large sewer line ruptured. San Antonio Fire Battalion Chief Brian O'Neil tells the Express-News that a woman sustained minor injuries when she rescued the man who drove into the sinkhole Sunday night. O'Neil says both people are in "good shape."

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast