This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Latest on the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man by a deputy with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department (all times local):
The father of an unarmed black man fatally shot by a deputy with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has filed a civil rights claim.
The precursor to a lawsuit filed Tuesday says the department did not have probable cause when deputies violently confronted 27-year-old Donnell Thompson Jr. on July 28 in Compton.
The department says deputies suspected at the time that Thompson had been involved in an earlier carjacking and shootout with police and that he was armed when he ran toward an armored vehicle.
Officials said Tuesday that Thompson was not involved with the carjacking or shootout.
The claim also says the deputies who confronted Thompson were "dangerous and violent employees" prone to firing their guns without reasonable justification.
The claim doesn't explain that allegation, and the Sheriff's Department has declined to release details about the deputies.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.