Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
NICOSIA, Cyprus (AP) — A court in Cyprus has adjourned extradition proceedings for an Egyptian hijacking suspect for three weeks after prosecutors requested more time to examine documents from Egyptian authorities.
Robertos Vrahimis, the lawyer for 59-year-old Seif Eddin Mustafa who prosecutors say has admitted hijacking an EgyptAir flight and diverting it to Cyprus last month, told The Associated Press Friday his client didn't object to remaining in custody until his next court appearance on May 13.
Vrahimis said Mustafa's political asylum request will continue to be examined. Mustafa is fighting extradition over fears of how he'll be treated by Egyptian authorities because of his political beliefs.
Before entering the court, Mustafa had his shirt unbuttoned to reveal a T-shirt saying, "CICI KILLER" — an apparent reference to Egyptian President Abdel-Fatah el-Sisi.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.