The Latest: Suspect who killed officer had arrests warrants

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The latest in a shooting that has left a Utah police officer and suspect dead and another officer injured (all times local):

4:35 p.m.

A man who was fatally shot by Utah police after he killed an officer had both federal and state warrants issued for his arrest.

The Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office said Sunday that 31-year-old Cory Lee Henderson had a prior criminal record but did not go into further details.

Sheriff Jim Winder says Henderson was being sought by a gang task force and had a "propensity" for possession of weapons.

Authorities say Henderson fled the scene of a traffic accident and then fatally shot Unified police Officer Douglas Barney.

Henderson then died in a shootout with police that left Officer Jon Richey with three gunshot wounds.

Police say Richey is hospitalized but his condition has improved.


3:40 p.m.

A Utah police officer has died after he was shot by a suspect who was later killed by police.

Salt Lake County Sheriff Jim Winder says Unified police officer Douglas Barney died Sunday afternoon after he was shot in a head by a male suspect who had left the scene of a traffic accident.

Winder says other officers encountered the suspect, who was on foot, and multiple rounds of gunfire were exchanged. A second officer was hit three times.

Winder says he has undergone surgery and his condition is improving.


11:55 a.m.

Unified police say two officers have been shot and a suspect was killed in a shooting in the Holladay area.

Police say the incident happened around 10 a.m. Sunday and the officers may have been in a pursuit at the time. They say two officers were transported to the hospital but did not describe the nature of their injuries. A male suspect was fatally wounded.

Police did not say what led to the shooting but that a female suspect is involved. She remains at large.

The Utah Department of Transportation says the area is currently closed as officers investigate.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

The Associated Press


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast