Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
NAMPA, Idaho (AP) — A teen who filed a lawsuit after being sexually abused by a security supervisor at an Idaho juvenile detention facility has reached a settlement with the Idaho Department of Juvenile Corrections.
The case of John Doe I was closed on Dec. 1, The Idaho Press-Tribune reports (http://bit.ly/1R997L9). The terms of the settlement have not been disclosed.
Bruce Skaug, the Nampa attorney representing all victims who have made accusations against IDJC, said the settlement in John Doe I's case agreed the amount of money awarded to his client would not be public information.
"John Doe I settled his case for a confidential sum, less than one month prior to jury trial," said Skaug. "He is satisfied with the settlement and is moving on with his life."
The former 15-year-old resident of the Juvenile Correction Center in Nampa filed the lawsuit last year. He was sexually abused by then-security supervisor Julie McCormick several times in 2012.
McCormick was later convicted of lewd conduct with a minor. She was released from prison in February 2015 after completing a sex offender treatment program.
John Doe I is one of 12 former juvenile inmates who have accused jail staff of sexual and physical abuse. Five of the other victims have filed lawsuits and their cases are pending. Two others who have filed tort claims plan to file lawsuits, Skaug said.
Information from: Idaho Press-Tribune, http://www.idahopress.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.