Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
BALTIMORE (AP) — Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz says the county will not seek $257,000 in reimbursement from the city of Baltimore for police and fire assistance during the unrest following the death of Freddie Gray.
Last week, city officials announced they would pay surrounding counties a combined $1.8 million for their help in responding to the unrest in April and May after the death of Freddie Gray.
Kamenetz says the county provided the personnel on an emergency basis with no expectation of a reimbursement.
Gray died April 19 after sustaining a spinal injury a week earlier while riding handcuffed in a police van. Soon after, the city erupted in rioting, looting and arson. Members of the Maryland Army National Guard, state troopers and officers from other jurisdictions were brought in to help.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.