Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The man who bought the assault rifles that were used in the San Bernardino massacre is expected to be charged as early as today. That word comes from two law enforcement officials. They say the exact federal charges against Enrique Marquez aren't immediately clear. Authorities say Marquez legally purchased the high-powered guns used by Syed Farook and his wife to kill 14 people at a holiday gathering of Farook's health department co-workers on Dec. 2. The couple died in a shootout with police hours later.
BRUSSELS (AP) — Police in Belgium may have missed an opportunity to capture a fugitive who's wanted in connection with last month's deadly attacks in Paris. A federal prosecutor says Salah Abdeslam may have eluded capture when Belgian police waited overnight to search a house in Brussels where he could have been hiding, two days after the attacks. They waited because of various factors, including a Belgian law banning home searches overnight except for certain crimes.
ARAPAHO, Okla. (AP) — Oklahoma authorities say a man targeting motorists randomly from his pickup truck fired on at least four vehicles along a three-county stretch of Interstate 40, killing a man traveling with his wife and also killing a woman more than ten miles away. They say at least two other cars were struck by gunfire. A sheriff says the suspect surrendered without incident. He's being held on a driving under the influence complaint, but authorities say more charges are likely.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Authorities say two children whose bodies were found in a Northern California storage locker were killed more than 300 miles away in Central California. Autopsies were performed yesterday on the bodies of the 3-year-old girl and 6-year-old boy. A 39-year-old woman and her 17-year-old companion are under investigation in the deaths.
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — New Hampshire's secretary of state has scheduled the first-in-the-nation presidential primary for Feb. 9th. It's a move that had been widely expected given the lack of pressure from other states. In past years, some states had jockeyed to move their primaries and caucuses earlier in hopes of grabbing some of the spotlight New Hampshire enjoys. But New Hampshire state law requires its primary to be held at least seven days ahead of any other similar contest.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.