Maltese hospital manager is abducted in Tripoli

By The Associated Press | Posted - Dec. 15, 2015 at 5:50 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

VALLETTA, Malta (AP) — The Maltese government says the manager of a Maltese-owned hospital operating in Libya has been abducted in Tripoli.

Officials said Tuesday that Pierre Baldacchino, 36, manager of the St. James Hospital in Tripoli, was taken Monday as he returned home around 5 p.m.

The government said it is "working with Libyan authorities" to secure his release, and reiterated its advice for Maltese citizens not to travel to Libya. The government declined to comment on the kidnappers.

He is the third Maltese to be abducted in Libya in the last 18 months. Both of the previous victims also had been working in Libya; one was released after 11 days in captivity and the other after 47 days.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast