Governor runs in 5K honoring victims of 2011 IHOP shooting

By The Associated Press | Posted - Sep. 7, 2015 at 2:41 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — Gov. Brian Sandoval was among about 100 people who ran in the National Guard's annual 5K honoring the people who were shot and killed at a Carson City IHOP restaurant four years ago.

Sandoval said before the run that he participated this year to show his support for the National Guard.

Brig. Gen. Michael Hanifan said the community needs to continue to show that it won't be "defeated by one person."

Victims killed in the shooting included 35-year-old Lt. Col. Heath Kelly, 38-year-old Master Sgt. Christian Riege and 31-year-old Sgt. 1st Class Miranda McElhiney, whose father Ken Curtzwiler carried an American flag during the Sunday run.

A 67-year-old civilian from South Lake Tahoe, Florence Donovan-Gunderson, was also killed.

The gunman fatally shot himself. He had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast