Jazz stay in No. 12 slot after NBA draft lottery

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 3-4 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — In a result unsurprising to anyone with even the slightest understanding of probabilities, the Jazz did not move draft slots in Tuesday night's NBA lottery, and will pick 12th in the NBA draft on June 25. Minnesota, the Los Angeles Lakers and Philadelphia ended up with picks No. 1, 2 and 3, respectively.

Coming into the night, the Jazz had a 93.53 percent chance of staying at the No. 12 spot, with a 2.54 percent chance of moving into the top three and a 3.92 percent chance of being bumped down to either No. 13 or 14. But those small chances did not happen, and so the Jazz will stay at No. 12. The Jazz also have the No. 42 and 54 selections in the second round of the draft.

Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey, though, has been preparing for the Jazz to be drafting at No. 12, and so at the very least isn't surprised by the non-change: "No surprises. No disappointment, we knew we had long odds. We think we have a good asset."

But naturally, even with a small chance, they still hoped. Randy Rigby, Jazz president and in the room when the lottery selections were made, said, "Even though we're one of the later people in the lottery, you still have this excitement and nervousness in your stomach as you're watching the process."

In today's DraftExpress mock draft, the Jazz were predicted to be taking Frank Kaminsky, the Wisconsin standout, at the No. 12 spot. Kaminsky would add an element of outside shooting from a big man spot that the Jazz currently lack.

"There are going to be players there that we like, but we're going to have to decide, 'Can we develop that many players on a simultaneous basis?’ ” -Dennis Lindsey, Utah Jazz GM

In the second round, DraftExpress's mock has the Jazz taking two international prospects: Timothe Luwawu and Marc Garcia. Both are likely draft-and-stash prospects who wouldn't have much of an impact on the roster. Lindsey commented on the possibility of draft-and-stashing.

"There are going to be players there that we like, but we're going to have to decide, 'Can we develop that many players on a simultaneous basis?’ ”

What talents are the Jazz looking for? Lindsey explained.

"The best player will carry the day. We have our tiering system, but it'd be a little premature. We have to do a better job of taking care of the ball. We have to make open shots at a higher level. We would like to add somebody that had individual defensive integrity. I think it makes sense to improve around our unique size."

If the Jazz were to draft Kaminsky, they could add talent right away. Lindsey was asked about the timing of the process.

"One of the things that we try to evaluate is readiness. There are some players that, given an even playing field, could come in and help us very quick. At the end of the day, we want to get the player with the best career."

With a young roster, it's possible the Jazz look to trade the pick for more veteran help rather than adding another young player on the roster. When asked about what kind of offer the Jazz would have to receive in order to trade the pick, Lindsey said, "It's going to have to be a good one. There were a couple of teams who chased it at the deadline, and others have registered their interest. Frankly, having a contributor on a rookie deal, that's going to allow you to allocate assets elsewhere."

So while the uncertainty of where the Jazz will draft is over, the mystery of what the Jazz will do with their draft picks is only beginning.

Related stories

Most recent Sports stories

Related topics

SportsUtah Jazz
Andy Larsen


    From first downs to buzzer beaters, get KSL.com’s top sports stories delivered to your inbox weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast