Sports / 

Park City takes Division I girls lacrosse championship; Roy claims Division 2 title

(Sean Walker/

Show 1 more video

Estimated read time: 5-6 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

DRAPER — Hannah Hyatt has had several big moments in her lacrosse career at Park City High School.

The senior midfielder saved possibly her biggest moment for last.

Hyatt scored her match-high sixth goal with 2.3 seconds left in regulation, and the Miners held off a stingy Brighton defense, 13-12 in overtime in the Division I girls lacrosse championship match at Corner Canyon High School.

“It’s absolutely amazing,” said Hyatt, who will play lacrosse at Boston College in the fall. “It’s amazing to finish off my high school career with a state title.”

Brighton nearly pulled off the upset over the undefeated Miners, scoring a goal through Emma Patch with just 21 seconds left to go ahead 11-10. But Hyatt never doubted her team.

“Normally in that situation, I kind of fall and get stressed out and worry,” she said. “But this was the only game where I never felt that way. I knew in the next moment that we were going to go down and score.”

Marina Mayo added four goals and two assists for Park City, which got goals from Jeni Gordon, Ellie Meyer and Maike Wells but never led by more than two scores.

Normally in that situation, I kind of fall and get stressed out and worry. But this was the only game where I never felt that way. I knew in the next moment that we were going to go down and score.

–Park City midfielder Hannah Hyatt on her last-second heroics to force OT in the state championship

Madeline Doty scored her first of three goals for Brighton just 32 seconds into the match to give the Bengals a 1-0 lead. But the Miners responded through Gordon’s goal two minutes later, then took their first advantage of the game on Hyatt’s first goal in the fifth minute.

Brighton traded goals on near-alternating possessions, and Doty’s goal with 2:20 left in the half gave the two teams a 6-6 tie at the break. But Park City slowed down the game, going up 7-6 on Maike Wells’ goal four and a half minutes after halftime, and keeping the lead until Bergan Mcardle notched her third of the match with 10:48 left on the clock.

“Our whole goal all season was just to play our game, and we sort of lost track of that a little bit when Brighton took the lead,” Park City coach Abbie Coleman said. “Our attackers tried to take on one-v-ones, but we instead got down to get into a play and score off of free position situations.”

Doty and Mcardle led Brighton with three goals apiece, and Madeline Osterloh, Tiffiny Wallace and Patch each added two scores. After playing to a 10-10 game through two 25-minute halves, the Miners held Brighton to one goal on one shot through two three-minute overtime periods to eke out the win.

“We’ve had a great season so far, and this is the best way to end an undefeated season,” Coleman said. “Brighton gave us the hardest game of our season, and it was a perfect opportunity in the state final to go to overtime.”

Division II girls lacrosse championship

ROY 8, COPPER HILLS 7 — Roy's Bree Bodle scored her second goal of the match with 37 seconds left to lift the Royals to their first Division II state championship just three years after beginning a varsity girls lacrosse program with a win over the Grizzlies.

Roy outscored the Grizzlies 5-3 in the second half, including two goals and an assist from Bodle. Madisyn Stevens led the Royals with four goals, and Madison Geilmann and Brittany Talbot also scored for Roy.

“I just didn’t think about it,” said Bodle. “I only thought that I had to score, and that I can’t let my team down.

“It’s been unbelievable. The first year, we won one game. And now we’re state champs.”

Hannah Corbett led the Grizzlies with two goals, and five other players scored for Copper Hills.

Roy struck first through Brittany Talbot’s goal in the opening minute, but Copper Hills clamped down on defense and didn’t allow a goal for 22 minutes of the first half.

Madalyn Huber scored a goal in the fifth minute, and Hannah Corbett added two goals off free positions in the final seven minutes of the half. Maddie Keller’s strike with four minutes remaining gave the Grizzlies a 4-1 advantage, but Roy coach John McCain called a timeout with 4:17 left on the clock to spark the Royals on a 3-0 run bridging halftime.

“These girls did a fantastic job,” McCain said. “I told them to just go out there and play the way we know how to play. We play an aggressive game, we attack, and we did it. I didn’t know what else to say. I’m so excited for these girls.”

Roy brought the game within a goal at halftime, trailing 4-3, as Madison Stevens and Madison Geilmann scored in the final two minutes of the half. Bodle’s first goal of the day came on a free position just under two minutes into the half to tie the game at 4-4.

Bodle was named player of the game for her two-goal, one-assist performance.

“I don’t really feel like the MVP,” Bodle said. “I feel like our seniors did the battle to get here. We’re a three-year team.”

Kiara Montoya, Brenlee Fordham and Mercedes Kent each scored for Copper Hills in the second half as the Grizzlies tried to fend off the late Royal rally. Kent slid in front of Fordham for an easy dodge-and-score to put Copper Hills up 7-6 with 1:33 remaining, but back-to-back goals by Roy’s Stevens and Bodle secured the win.

“These girls have been together for three years, and their experience showed today,” McCain said. “They never gave up, played with heart and did a fantastic job. I’m so proud of these girls.”

Related Links

Sean Walker


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast