Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Student testing in Minnesota is set to resume after it was suspended over a hacking attempt.
The state Department of Education said Thursday the computerized Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments that test science proficiency will resume Friday. The contractor, Pearson, told state education officials it was the victim of a server attack. The company is stepping up security to guard against any further attempts.
State Education Commissioner Brenda Cassellius told reporters the suspension put about 30,000 tests on hold. The testing window closes at the end of the day Tuesday.
Minnesota has a $38 million, three-year contract with Pearson to administer proficiency testing in math, science and reading. Students in third-grade to high school take the tests annually.
Testing was also disrupted last month over security and connectivity concerns. State officials will determine this summer whether the disruptions affected students' scores, Cassellius said.
The commissioner said she has no plans to move back to administering MCAs on paper, because online tests give teachers and school districts results much faster. More than 400,000 students have already finished their tests this year.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.