Nobody hurt in fire at USC dormitory

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Authorities say nobody was hurt in a fire in a top-floor dormitory room at the University of Southern California.

City Fire spokesman Brian Humphrey says it took crews just a few minutes to extinguish the blaze on West 35th Street late Sunday.

Humphrey says the fire was contained to a mattress and was kept from spreading by building sprinklers.

A preliminary investigation finds the blaze was sparked by an unattended candle.

The loss was estimated at $2,500 — including $1,000 to contents and $1,500 to the structure.

At least five students have been displaced from the building's third floor.

University Public Safety was not available for comment but tweeted that the fire was in the University Residence Hall.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

The Associated Press


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast