Find a list of your saved stories here

Utah Jazz summer calendar

Save Story

Save stories to read later

Show 1 more video

Estimated read time: 5-6 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — After an optimistic 2014-15 season, the Utah Jazz have several important decisions to make entering this summer. Here are the important dates to know in the Jazz's offseason schedule.

May 14-15 - NBA Draft Combine

The NBA Draft combine in Chicago will give all 30 NBA teams a chance to evaluate the invited NBA prospects.The format has changed slightly this year as 5-on-5 play is returning to the combine along with the traditional drills, strength and agility testing, interviews, and more. Many top draft prospects won't participate in the 5-on-5 play, but the format should provide a better look for NBA decision makers as they evaluate how the rest of the pack compares to each other.

May 19 - Draft Lottery

The NBA will conduct its annual Draft Lottery in New York City on May 19. The Jazz, after losing a drawing with the Indiana Pacers, are currently slated to pick No. 12. However, the lottery drawing gives the Jazz a 0.7 percent chance at winning the No. 1 pick, a 0.8 percent chance at winning the No. 2 pick, and a 1.1 percent chance at winning the No. 3 pick, a cumulative 2.6 percent chance of moving up. There's also a 3.9 percent chance that either Phoenix or Oklahoma City could move up in the draft, which would bump the Jazz to either the No.13 or No. 14 pick. Overall, there's 93.5 percent likelihood the Jazz will stay at No.12 when the lottery rolls around.

June 25, 5 p.m. MT - NBA Draft

Besides the likely No. 12 pick in the first round, the Jazz are also slated to pick No. 42 and No. 54 in the second round. Don't be surprised if the Jazz choose to make a draft day trade that changes their selection list.

June 26 - Jack Cooley and Chris Johnson can be traded

It probably won't matter, but if the Jazz decide to trade either of these two signees, they'll have to wait until June 26 to officially consummate the trade.

June 30 - Deadline to extend a qualifying offer to Joe Ingles

If the Jazz want to make free agent wingman Joe Ingles a restricted free agent, giving them matching rights against any offer that he receives in free agency, they have to make a qualifying offer on or before the June 30 deadline. Ingles is due a qualifying offer of $1.05 million if the Jazz choose to go this route. Ingles would then have the option of accepting the qualifying offer or exploring his options in free agency.

July 1 - July moratorium begins, negotiations begin, free agents (Joe Ingles, Jeremy Evans) can be renounced

This is the date the Jazz can begin negotiations with the NBA's free agents. However, contracts can't be officially signed until July 9. The Jazz will also be able to renounce the salary cap holds held by free agents Joe Ingles and Jeremy Evans, if they want to open up additional salary cap space.


July 6-9 - Utah Jazz Summer League

The newly announced Utah Jazz Summer League, featuring the Jazz, Celtics, Sixers, and Spurs, will take place on these dates. July 6, 7 and 9 will feature a doubleheader at EnergySolutions Arena in a round-robin style tournament. July 8 will be a rest day.

July 9 - July moratorium ends, players can be officially signed

After the eight-day negotiating period, free agents can officially sign their deals starting on this date.

July 10-20 - Las Vegas Summer League

The Jazz will once again travel to Las Vegas with most of the league to participate in the NBA Las Vegas Summer League. The format of this tournament is still to be determined, but it's a great opportunity to see most of the NBA's new draftees.

July 15 - Trevor Booker's contract guarantee date

Trevor Booker has a unique contract: the Jazz can choose to waive him before July 15 and pay just $250,000. However, if they don't waive him, he'll make $5 million. This gives the Jazz a lot of flexibility. If they find a willing player who deserves massive salary cap space in the first 15 days of free agency, they can waive Booker and make the big acquisition. If nobody bites, the Jazz can keep Booker on the roster to provide depth.

July 23 - Last day to withdraw a qualifying offer to Joe Ingles

The Jazz will have the option of withdrawing the qualifying offer (if one was made) to Joe Ingles if they need the extra $1 million or so to sign a free agent. That flexibility goes away after this date.

Aug. 15 - FIBA Oceania Championship Game 1: Melbourne, Australia

Aug. 18 - FIBA Oceania Championship Game 2: Wellington, New Zealand

Dante Exum and the rest of the Australian Boomers will take on New Zealand in a two-game home-and-away series to determine which team qualifies for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Brazil. Joe Ingles will not participate after a mutual decision by club and country to have him rest this summer following a grueling first season in the NBA. Game 1 will be played in Rod Laver Arena, the home of the Australian Open tennis final.

Sept. 5-20 - Rudy Gobert plays in FIBA Eurobasket

Sept. 5 - France vs. Finland

Sept. 6 - France vs. Bosnia and Herzegovina

Sept. 7 - France vs. Poland

Sept. 9 - France vs. Russia

Sept. 10 - France vs. Israel

While Oceania's Olympic qualifying tournament is as simple as can be, the European championship is a two-week affair involving 24 countries in 5 different host cities. The Jazz's tie to the action is center Rudy Gobert, who will be anchoring the French lineup against the rest of Group A (above). After the group stage comes the knockout rounds, with the schedule yet to be determined.

Related links

Related stories

Most recent Sports stories

Related topics

SportsUtah Jazz
Andy Larsen


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast