French defense chief urges soldiers to admit African abuse

By The Associated Press | Posted - May 3, 2015 at 5:51 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

PARIS (AP) — France's defense minister wants any soldiers involved in alleged sexual abuse of boys in Central African Republic to come forward to limit the damage to the military's image.

Jean-Yves Le Drian, in an interview with the Journal du Dimanche newspaper Sunday, described his "disgust" at reading a report last year detailing the accusations.

Residents of a camp for displaced persons have told The Associated Press that French soldiers, tasked with protecting civilians in the former colony amid sectarian violence, had sexually abused boys as young as nine. The allegations became public last week and French authorities are investigating.

Suggesting some alleged perpetrators still haven't been identified, Le Drian urged anyone involved to immediately come clean and "denounce" the actions, which he said "betray comrades, France's image and the military's mission."

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast