News / 

Boston is back in business...IS appears to give Jordan more time for hostage exchange

Save Story
Leer en Español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

BOSTON (AP) — Boston is accustomed to big snowstorms but what really helped officials during the Blizzard of 2015 was ample warning. Officials were able to mobilize thousands of snowplows and call up the National Guard enabling the city to bounce back quickly. Transit systems were operating and businesses began reopening today after the storm buried the city in 2 feet of snow. Forecasters are calling for a few more inches by the weekend.

BEIRUT (AP) — Islamic State militants may be giving Jordan more time to release an Iraqi would-be hotel bomber linked to al-Qaida in exchange for a Jordanian fighter pilot. An audio message, purportedly read by a Japanese hostage, says the female terrorist must be presented at the Turkish border by sunset Thursday or the hostages will be killed.

BOSTON (AP) — Prosecutors are opposing a new request by lawyers for the Boston Marathon bombing suspect to move his trial. The government says a partial analysis of completed juror questionnaires cited by the defense doesn't support its argument that too many are prejudiced and an impartial jury can't be found in eastern Massachusetts. The judge rejected two earlier requests to move the trial.

UNDATED (AP) — Regulators say a pipeline that ruptured recently in North Dakota and spilled nearly 3 million gallons of saltwater produced during oil drilling wasn't inspected by the state before being installed. A spokeswoman for the commission that oversees the oil and gas industry says it's not uncommon. She says North Dakota is struggling to find qualified installation inspectors.

MILLERSVILLE, Md. (AP) — An electrical fire that spread to a 15-foot Christmas tree is being blamed for sparking a bigger blaze that destroyed a riverfront mansion near Maryland's capital to ruins. That's the conclusion of investigators. A couple and four of their young grandchildren died in the fire in the early morning hours of Jan. 19. The tree had been cut more than 60 days before the blaze.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent News stories

The Associated Press


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast