NC 13-year-old dies of apparent carbon monoxide

Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

BREVARD, N.C. (AP) — Transylvania County authorities say a teen has died and his father has been hospitalized because of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sheriff David Mahoney told local reporters that it appeared the home was being heated with a device not intended for inside use when they victims were found Wednesday. Mahoney said it created a high level of carbon monoxide.

A 13-year-old boy died and his father was taken to a hospital for treatment. The names of the victims have not been released.

Medical examiner Angela Hinnenkamp said she's awaiting tests to confirm the cause of death.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

The Associated Press


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast