Ten Commandments suspect may be freed from hospital

Save Story

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — The man suspected of destroying the Ten Commandments monument on the grounds of the state Capitol could be released from a mental health facility next month.

Michael Tate Reed II, 29, of Van Buren, Arkansas, is being held at Griffin Memorial Hospital, where he is being treated for schizoaffective disorder, the Tulsa World reported Thursday (http://bit.ly/1B6SdS2 ). Officials say his condition has improved and he could be released Jan. 8 into the care of his family.

Reed was arrested on complaints of destruction of state property and other offenses after he allegedly rammed his truck into the statue and broke it on Oct. 24. He also made threats against President Barack Obama, set money on fire in his vehicle and walked into a federal building to spit on pictures.

Law enforcement officers said Reed's behavior when he was arrested indicated he was experiencing symptoms of an untreated mental illness.

Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater said he has been working with the state Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse to find treatment. The first placement failed after Reed became violent, and he was moved to the county jail. The state then found a slot at Griffin.

"His case is not unlike cases we deal with every single day in Oklahoma courts and what police deal with multiple times on the street," Prater said. "We work to find appropriate ways to handle . people experiencing mental health problems."

No charges have been filed as Reed undergoes treatment as part of a mental health order. Prater said he is relying on the reports from social workers and mental health providers in deciding a course of action.

Meanwhile, Reed's family is dubious about the hearing even taking place next month.

"I'm not believing that will happen," said his mother, Crystal Reed. "The workers told me Jan. 8, and now are saying it might be mid-January. It's always about paperwork that isn't processed."


Information from: Tulsa World, http://www.tulsaworld.com

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

The Associated Press


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast