Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SYDNEY (AP) — Australia's prime minister says the gunman who took hostages in a Sydney cafe was "a deeply disturbed individual' known to the police but he was not on a terror watch list.
Tony Abbott said Tuesday that Man Haron Monis, who died in a police raid along with two hostages, "certainly had been well known to the Australian Federal Police ... but I don't believe that he was on a terror watch list at this time."
Abbott spoke after laying flowers at a makeshift memorial in Sydney for the victims of a central city cafe siege. He laid a bouquet of white flowers at the memorial in Martin Place while his wife Margie laid a bouquet of red flowers. Abbott also wrote a message and waved at the crowd.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.