Germany opens new investigation of 1980 attack

Germany opens new investigation of 1980 attack

By The Associated Press | Posted - Dec. 11, 2014 at 6:01 a.m.


1 photo

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

BERLIN (AP) — German prosecutors are opening a new investigation into a far-right attack on Munich's Oktoberbest beer festival in 1980 that left 13 people dead.

The federal prosecutors' office said Thursday a previously unknown witness has surfaced. Chief prosecutor Harald Range said prosecutors won't limit themselves to hearing the woman's evidence but "will pursue all leads ... anew and comprehensively."

Thirteen people were killed, including three children, and more than 200 wounded when a bomb exploded at the Oktoberfest on the evening of Sept. 26, 1980. The dead included the attacker, student Gundolf Koehler, a supporter of a banned far-right group.

Investigations were closed in 1982 but prosecutors say the new witness's testimony may point to previously unknown co-conspirators.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Photos

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast