Investigation determines time of fatal bear attack

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

RIVERTON, Wyo. (AP) — An investigation has determined the approximate time of death of a Utah man who was mauled by a bear while working in the Bridger Teton National Forest in northwestern Wyoming, officials in Fremont County said.

Investigators used the time stamp on digital photographs taken by 31-year-old Adam Stewart of Virgin, Utah, to determine he was killed at about 5 p.m. on Sept. 4, Coroner Ed McAuslan told the Riverton Ranger ( ).

The last picture Stewart took was at 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 4, McAuslan said.

"He took a lot of photographs, even from the time he parked his car there at Brooks Lake at the parking lot," McAuslan said. "He was taking photographs all the way in."

Search and rescue volunteers determined where the last photo was taken and how long it would have taken Stewart to walk to the heavily timbered area where his body was found on Sept. 12. He had been reported missing five days earlier.

An autopsy found Stewart died of blunt force trauma during an encounter with a bear. Officials have not said what kind of bear was involved.

All photos have been returned to Stewart's family, McAuslan said.

Stewart was working for an Idaho consulting firm, Nature's Capital, under a contract to conduct ecological assessments for the U.S. Forest Service.


Information from: The (Riverton, Wyo.) Ranger,

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


The Associated Press


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast