This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — A bomb threat phoned in to the Sandy Hook School that forced its evacuation was "complex," but was considered "low to no threat," Newtown's schools superintendent told parents.
The News-Times reports (http://bit.ly/1rGyLYL ) Superintendent Joseph Erardi told about 100 parents at a meeting Wednesday night that the decision to evacuate the school earlier that day was made at 10:45 a.m. after speaking with police. The threat was phoned in at 9:30 a.m.
"Although there was little to no danger at any time with the alleged threat, the decision was made to make sure that every precautionary step had been taken for the safety of the Sandy Hook staff members and students," Erardi said. "This same decision would have been made for all other Newtown schools."
A search of the school and grounds turned up no evidence of a bomb, Erardi said. He advised parents that it is "100 percent" safe for children to return to their school routine Thursday morning.
A gunman fatally shot 20 children and six educators at a previously used Sandy Hook School in December 2012. That building was torn down and a school, also named Sandy Hook, is being used in neighboring Monroe.
A few parents questioned why the school was not evacuated immediately. Erardi said he could not provide details of the call because police are investigating. He said he did what he believed had to be done, based on information he had.
Newtown First Selectwoman Pat Llodra said the prank is a serious offense.
"This is not funny. It's harmful, and hurtful, and we need it to stop,' she said.
Several parents praised faculty and staff for managing the evacuation as a drill. Children were not aware of the bomb threat when they were taken to nearby Jockey Hollow Middle School.
"The only kids who were crying were those who didn't get to eat lunch today," principal Kathleen Gombos said.
Information from: The News-Times, http://www.newstimes.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.