News / 

Ebola patient identified...Suspect in beheading out of hospital...Accused fence-jumper in court

By The Associated Press | Posted - Oct. 1, 2014 at 12:51 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

DALLAS (AP) — According to his sister, the first Ebola patient diagnosed in the United States has said he notified health care workers the first time he went to the hospital that he was visiting the U.S. from Liberia. It's one of the West African countries hardest hit by the Ebola outbreak. His sister says Thomas Duncan went to a Dallas emergency room on Friday and was sent home with antibiotics. He returned two days later after his condition worsened, and was admitted.

NEW YORK (AP) — Health officials say three people died who were infected with a virus causing severe respiratory illness across the country. A Rhode Island child died last week after suffering both a bacterial infection and infection from enterovirus 68. The virus is behind a spike in harsh respiratory illnesses in children since early August.

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) — A man accused of beheading a woman at an Oklahoma processing plant has been released from a hospital and transferred to jail. Alton Nolen is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Colleen Hufford. He's also charged with assault for allegedly attacking another employee on Thursday before he was shot by a plant manager.

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — An Oregon man has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for plotting to bomb a crowded holiday event in Portland's town square in 2010. Mohamed Mohamud was sentenced today in U.S. District Court in Portland in the plot that actually was an FBI sting. Agents posing as al-Qaida recruiters supplied the fake car bomb that the former Oregon State University student tried to set off at an annual Christmas tree-lighting ceremony.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Accused White House fence-jumper Omar Gonzalez has pleaded not guilty to charges that he ran into the presidential mansion while carrying a knife. Gonzalez's lawyer entered the plea on behalf of his client in a proceeding today before a U.S. magistrate judge. A three-count federal grand jury indictment issued Tuesday accuses Gonzalez of unlawfully entering a restricted building while carrying a deadly weapon, a federal charge.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast