Sports / Other Sports / 

Ex-Michigan receiver York pleads guilty to assault

By The Associated Press | Posted - Sep. 22, 2014 at 11:30 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) — Former Michigan wide receiver Csont'e York, who police say broke a man's jaw outside a bar over the summer, pleaded guilty Monday to a pair of misdemeanor assault charges.

Ann Arbor District Judge Elizabeth Pollard Hines said she would allow York to be sentenced under the Holmes Youthful Training Act, which eliminates a young person's conviction after completing a probationary period.

York, 20, pleaded guilty to one count of aggravated assault and one count of assault and battery. Police said York broke a man's jaw with a punch and pushed another man just after 2 a.m. July 18 outside of Scorekeeper's Bar in Ann Arbor.

"I hit a guy," York said during Monday's hearing, and "I pushed him," referring to the second victim.

Hines said York will have to pay restitution to the 23-year-old man he punched — for his medical bills and airline flights for him and his mother to and from his out-of-state home.

Sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 24.

York, who appeared in one game as a reserve wide receiver as a freshman last season, is enrolled at the University of Toledo after being kicked off the Michigan team last month.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast