Find a list of your saved stories here

Georgetown student died of bacterial meningitis

Save Story

Save stories to read later

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Georgetown student who died after contracting meningitis had the most serious form of the infection.

In a letter to parents, students and staff sent late Thursday, the university says that sophomore Andrea Jaime died of bacterial meningitis on Tuesday.

That type of meningitis can be transmitted through close personal contact, such as sharing drinks or kissing.

As of late Thursday, the university says it has had no other reported cases of meningitis.

The school says health officials are working to identify anyone who may have had close contact with the 19-year-old Jaime in the days leading up to her death to make sure they get antibiotics.

Close friends of Jaime's already have been getting antibiotics.

Jaime, who went to high school in Coral Gables, Fla., was studying human sciences.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

The Associated Press


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast