News / 

NKorea about to try 2 American tourists...Obama to nominate VA sec...Stuck on SeaWorld ride

By The Associated Press | Posted - Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:50 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

TOKYO (AP) — North Korea says it's getting ready to try two Americans who entered the country as tourists. Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency says Americans Matthew Todd Miller and Jeffrey Edward Fowle are suspected of carrying out hostile acts against North Korea. North Korea has also been separately holding Korean-American missionary Kenneth Bae (bay) since November 2012.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A former Procter & Gamble executive is President Barack Obama's pick as the next Veterans Affairs secretary. Obama plans to nominate Robert McDonald in an announcement Monday. If confirmed by the Senate, McDonald would succeed Eric Shinseki, the retired four-star general who resigned last month amid an investigation into treatment delays that led to the deaths of some veterans.

HAT YAI, Thailand (AP) — Gunmen have opened fire at a mosque in Thailand's insurgency-plagued south, killing one man and injuring another after the start of Ramadan on the weekend. Police say an unknown number of suspected insurgents armed with rifles fired multiple shots into the mosque in Pattani province Monday. Sporadic insurgency attacks have started in Thailand's restive sub-region since the beginning of the Ramadan fast for the Muslim holy month over the weekend.

VERNON, Ariz. (AP) — Fire officials say a wildfire in eastern Arizona's White Mountains grew by a square mile Sunday, but the flames are not spreading. The Southwest Area Incident Management Team says the blaze is now 9 square miles, but all the growth is inside perimeter lines that firefighters have built. Officials say the blaze is 5 percent contained, and although evacuation orders remain in place for about three dozen summer homes, they're not in any "imminent danger."

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Authorities in San Diego say 48 people are safe after they were stranded for hours on a stalled ride at SeaWorld. A city fire spokesman says 46 visitors and two park employees were on the Skytower Sunday when a power failure left everyone about 320 feet in the air. After four hours, power was restored and the ride descended shortly before 7:30 p.m.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast