Zamboni fumes at Vegas ice rink send 7 to hospital

By The Associated Press | Posted - Jun. 23, 2014 at 8:51 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Zamboni fumes are being blamed for the evacuation of an ice rink in Las Vegas and the sickening of several people who were sent to the hospital over the weekend.

Clark County Fire Battalion Chief Richard Reid says firefighters were called to the Las Vegas Ice Center about 10 a.m. Sunday after several people complained of being light-headed or sick.

Members of a Haz-Mat team that responded with fire and rescue workers determined the Zamboni ice preparation machine was leaking carbon monoxide in the building. Seven people were transported to area hospitals. No one was seriously injured.

Reid told KSNV-TV (http://tinyurl.com/pvok9mf ) they took the Zamboni outside and the carbon monoxide levels soon returned to normal. The ice rink reopened later in the day.

___

Information from: KSNV-TV, http://www.mynews3.com/index.php

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast