Plane door spotted?...IBM exec from Texas among those on missing plane...Detroit Lions owner dies

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Vietnamese authorities say searchers may have spotted part of the jetliner that disappeared more than a day and a-half ago while flying from Malaysia to China. Officials say a low-flying plane saw an object that might be a door from the Boeing 777 in the waters off the southern tip of Vietnam. That's near where two oil slicks were seen yesterday.

KELLER, Texas (AP) — The family of a North Texas man who was aboard the Malaysia Airlines flight that went missing over the South China Sea says they saw him about a week ago when he visited home. Philip Wood was one of three Americans who were on the Boeing 777. He was an IBM executive who was being relocated to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, from Beijing, where he'd worked for two years.

BOSTON (AP) — This year's Boston Marathon will feature more police, more surveillance cameras and tightened rules for runners and spectators. But organizers hope the marathon's 118th running next month will still have the celebratory atmosphere of past years. Police and emergency management officials have been working for months on heightened security plans for the 26.2-mile route in the wake of last year's bombings that killed three people and injured more than 260.

DETROIT (AP) — The man who helped steer Ford Motor Co. for more than five decades and owned the NFL's Detroit Lions has died. William Clay Ford Sr. was 88. He was the last surviving grandson of company founder Henry Ford. He served as an employee and board member of the automaker for more than half of its 100-year history. The company says Ford died of pneumonia at his home.

CHICAGO (AP) — Cardinal Francis George says he feels a "little bit lightheaded" and a little unsteady on his feet but otherwise OK after his first treatment in a new round of chemotherapy. The Chicago Sun-Times reports that the 77-year-old leader of the Chicago archdiocese underwent his latest cancer treatment Wednesday that focused on one of his kidneys. George was declared cancer-free following surgery in 2006 but the cancer returned in 2012.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent World stories

Related topics

The Associated Press


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast