Mozambique forces accused of attacks on Renamo

By The Associated Press | Posted - Mar. 6, 2014 at 4:30 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

MAPUTO, Mozambique (AP) — Mozambique's main opposition party and former rebel movement, Renamo, has accused government forces of attacking its positions in the central province of Sofala.

Renamo spokesman Antonio Muchanga told a news conference in Maputo on Thursday that the attacks would hinder an understanding reached in talks between the two parties on an urgent need for an end to renewed hostilities between the old foes.

Responding to Renamo's claim, agriculture minister Jose Pacheco, who heads the government delegation at the ongoing talks between the two parties, said that on Monday Renamo gunmen attacked a police vehicle.

Pacheco said government forces defended themselves and are pursuing those responsible for the attack.

A 16-year civil war between the two factions ended in 1992 but hostilities between them flared again in May last year.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast