Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
LONDON (AP) - Global defense company BAE Systems says the U.A.E. has pulled out of U.K.-government backed talks to buy Typhoon jets.
BAE and the U.K. had been in discussions with the government of the United Arab Emirates over a range of defense deals, including the potential sale of Typhoon aircraft.
Prime Minister David Cameron had travelled to the Middle East in hopes of persuading the U.A.E. to buy 60 BAE Typhoons _ a multibillion-dollar deal _ instead of French fighter jets.
BAE said in a statement Thursday that the U.A.E. told them "they have elected not to proceed with these proposals at this time."
It added it is still in negotiations with Saudi Arabia over a Typhoon deal, but that a definitive agreement hasn't been reached.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)