Chicopee man hurt in small garage fire

Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CHICOPEE, Mass. (AP) - Authorities say a Chicopee man who locked himself out of his home had be taken to the hospital after lighting a fire in his garage to stay warm.

Fire Capt. Mark Galarneau says the middle-aged man apparently misplaced his keys and took shelter in the garage early Thursday because he couldn't get into the house.

He tells The Republican ( newspaper that when the temperature dropped, the man lit some paper products.

The ensuing smoke prompted the man to open the garage door and push the burning paper outside. A smoke alarm went off, and the fire department responded at about 3:30 a.m.

The fire was quickly extinguished and the man was taken to the hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. His injuries are not believed to be serious.


Information from: The Springfield (Mass.) Republican,

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast