5 Americans killed in Philippines typhoon

By Bradley Klapper, Associated Press | Posted - Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:17 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. officials say five Americans have died in Philippines' Typhoon Haiyan (HY-ahn) and hundreds of other Americans have received assistance.

Testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, the State Department's Scot Marciel provided the updated U.S. death toll.

He said Tuesday U.S. officials have received more than 1,000 calls seeking information about Americans. About 475 people have been located.

The White House says the U.S. is now providing $37 million in humanitarian aid to victims of the deadly Nov. 8 storm. That's almost double what the U.S. has previously announced.

The typhoon was among the strongest on record. It killed or has left missing more than 5,000 people and displaced an estimated 4 million people. A major international relief mission is under way to help survivors.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Bradley Klapper

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast