Shutout streak ends, but BYU Soccer gets the win

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 3-4 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

PROVO, Utah - Monday was an intense night for BYU soccer at South Stadium as BYU head coach Jennifer Rockwood earned her 200th victory, the Cougars' eight-game shutout streak ended, and Hermann Trophy candidate Katie Larkin scored two goals in a 2-1 victory over Washington.

Larkin, a junior from Draper, Utah (Alta HS), led all shooters in the game with five shots, four on goal, and two goals. Her seven goals in 2006 led the team as do her seven goals in 2007.

Woodbury proved why she is at the top of the goals-against average list in the nation. She recorded a season-high nine saves in the game as the Huskies put more pressure on the Cougars than any other team has this season. More than 12.5 hours of soccer elapsed (740 minutes) before she allowed a goal.

In a terrifying moment, Fellows, a junior from Sandy, Utah (Alta HS) leapt into the air in the 13th and forwarded the ball with a magnificent header. On the way down, her feet came out from under her, she landed on her back, and the back of her head hit the ground and knocked her unconscious. She was taken from the field on a backboard and taken to the hospital where preliminary tests were all positive.

"We got off to a good start, but it will always affect you when someone goes down the way Fellows did," Rockwood said. "Luckily we were able to rebound as a team and play great soccer. The 200th win was not something I thought twice about today. We just want to keep winning."

Despite the threat Washington posed, BYU as a team proved why it as been so successful as well. After an incredible diving save from Woodbury, the Cougars' transition offense went to work. They got the ball across midfield and freshman Becca Riddle of Midvale, Utah (Hillcrest HS) created a shot on goal that was blocked and not controlled. Larkin was there for the rebound and subsequent goal, her sixth of the season.

In the 77th minute of the game, BYU's shutout streak came to an end. Sophomore Andrea Willis fouled a Huskie forward in the penalty box that resulted in a penalty kick, and Washington's Dani Bridges booted the ball into the lower right corner just out of Woodbury's reach.

The Huskies received new life with the goal and continued to pressure the Cougars, but as is per custom in BYU's style of play it was the transition offense that created another opportunity for the blue and white. Defender Nicole Urry of Orem, Utah beat two defenders up the left side of the field and took a shot from the 18-yard line. Huskie defenders blocked the shot, but Larkin was able to get a strong left foot on it before the ball could be cleared. She hit the ball to the far right post past the keeper for her sixth game-winning goal of the season.

"I saw the ball bounce my way both times, I turned to it and took the shots," Larkin said. "Everyone in practice is a scoring machine, and we're all doing our best to bring it to the games."

BYU's next game will be against Montana on Saturday at 7 p.m. at South Stadium.

Most recent Sports stories

Related topics

SportsBYU Cougars


From first downs to buzzer beaters, get’s top sports stories delivered to your inbox weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast