Millsap game winner lifts Jazz over Hawks

Millsap game winner lifts Jazz over Hawks

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

Salt Lake City (July 19, 2007) - Thursday night's third game got off to a slow start with the first points of the game coming off a couple of free-throws by Utah's Paul Milsap after nearly two minutes of play. However Atlanta's Solomon Jones came in off the bench to contribute six of the Hawks 16 in the quarter, shooting three for three and giving the team two, key offensive rebounds. Though Jones' efforts weren't enough to fend off the Jazz who lead after the first 19-16.

Mario West's early steal he returned for a bucket and Devin Green shooting up the games first three-pointer tied the game at 26 with 5:40 to go in the half. But with Morris Almond and Paul Millsap combing for 11 of Utah's 18 points in the second quarter, the Jazz held onto the lead, up 37-34 going into the half.

Heading into the third it was Acie Law leading the charge for Atlanta with a couple of fast breaks and buckets down the lane to give Atlanta their first lead of the game since early in the first quarter. Kevin Lyde answered back for the Jazz contributing with six points and five physical rebounds in the quarter. But Atlanta's determination and defense was too much for the Jazz as it resulted in four steals and six turnovers helping Atlanta outscore the Jazz 25 to 18 to give them a 59-55 point lead going into the fourth.

Acie Law continued to lead the way for Atlanta putting up 21 total points in the game, on 8 of 16 from the field and 6 assists. Almond, determined not to let Atlanta hand the Jazz another loss, lead all Jazz players with nine points and a big-time steal to bring the Jazz within three with only 35 seconds left on the clock. But the fourth quarter belonged to the Jazz, as it was Paul Millsap's three-pointer with four seconds left that put the game into the first overtime of the Rocky Mountain Revue.

At the start of overtime, Millsap won the tip for the Jazz and contributed the first bucket to put them up 84-82, with 2:42 left to play in overtime. But Atlanta's Terrance Thomas answered back with a clutch three to tie the game again at 85 with just over a minute to play in the game. With the game still tied, Millsap converted a Dee Brown pass under the rim to give the Jazz an 88-86 point lead, with 1.4 left to go on the clock.

The Jazz would hold onto the lead to hand Atlanta an 88-86 loss.

Most recent Sports stories

Related topics

Utah JazzSports


Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast