Find a list of your saved stories here

News / 

Quick Weather Facts

Save Story

Save stories to read later

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

  • The lowest pressure reached by a hurricane was Hurricane Wilma at 882 mb or 26.05 inches of Mercury in October of 2005. Wilma had wind gusts of 175 mph
  • The Labor day Hurricane of 1935 was estimated to have wind speeds of 200 mph!
  • The deadliest hurricane in US History was the Galveston TX hurricane of 1900. 8,000 deaths were attributed to this storm.

Utah Cold Weather Facts - Snow and Winter Storms

  • A Winter storm Watch means conditions are favorable for winter conditions.
  • A winter storm warning means the storm is imminent, happening or definitely happening soon.
  • The most snow ever recorded in one season in SLC was 117.3 inches in 1951-52
  • The average amount of snow is 64.5 inches
  • The least amount of snow in a season was 16.6 inches in 1933-34
  • The coldest day in Utah was -69F in Peter Sinks Utah on Feb 1, 1985. The coldest day in Salt Lake was -30 on Feb 9th, 1933
  • There is a 40% chance of 1 inch or more snow on Christmas! And a 60% chance of a trace!

Most recent News stories


Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast