News / 

New York's Pirro drops U.S. Senate bid

New York's Pirro drops U.S. Senate bid



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

ALBANY, N.Y., Dec 21, 2005 (UPI via COMTEX) -- Jeanine Pirro, a New York Republican, said she is withdrawing from the U.S. Senate race that would have pitted her against Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Pirro issued a statement Wednesday saying "my head and heart remain in law enforcement" and that she planned to announce a run for state attorney general next month. She is currently the Westchester County attorney general.

Pirro said she made the decision after meeting with state GOP leaders, but the decision had been rumored for weeks as the Republican had trouble raising cash and Clinton, a Democrat, was amassing a war chest of at least $14 million toward re-election, The New York Times reported.

The announcement leaves the Republicans without a Senate candidate but the Times said they may try to convince Ed Cox, who was once a candidate for the party's Senate nomination, to re-enter the race.

URL: www.upi.com 

Copyright 2005 by United Press International

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast