Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
MONTREAL, Dec 1, 2005 (UPI via COMTEX) -- A Quebec judge has lifted the 14 restrictions on the liberty of Karla Homolka, who served 12 years for savage sex crimes and killings with her husband.
Homolka, 35, was released from a federal penitentiary in July, and settled in Montreal. The province of Ontario, where the crimes with her ex-husband Paul Bernardo were committed, was able to have restrictions attached to her release, including signing in with police once a month and alerting authorities if she traveled outside Quebec.
However, on Wednesday, Justice James Brunton of Quebec Superior Court said the lower court had been given insufficient evidence that Homolka remained a threat to society, the Globe and Mail reported.
With the legal shackles removed, Homolka may now lawfully contact Bernardo, who is serving a life sentence for the schoolgirl killings, as well as the victims' families. She may consort with people who have criminal records, work with children under 16, and cease her court-ordered therapy.
Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant said he is considering an appeal.
Copyright 2005 by United Press International